All Rise: January 4 & 5, 2020
A Conversation Guide for Small Groups
ICEBREAKER: Go around the group and give one real New Year resolution and one lie. Ask the group to guess which one the real one is.
SCRIPTURE REFERENCE: 1 John 2:1
Watch the Talk It Over video
DISCUSSION STARTER: What was your first “real job?” Who was your boss? What do you remember about them?
- How do you tend to respond when someone breaks the rules?
- Describe a time when you walked toward and beside someone who others felt should be distanced from due to them breaking the rules. How did others respond to your decision to honor instead of punish?
- Describe a time when you made a mistake and it seemed the punishment went on far longer than it should have.
- What does it look like to honor those who break your rules?
- Is there a different standard if they are Christians or Non-Christians?
- What excuses do we use to avoid honoring someone who has broken the rules? When does discernment turn into punishment? When does “giving space” turn into estrangement?
- As Christians, we believe that Jesus Himself is the propitiation for our sins. This means we can skip the punishment and go straight to honoring others. How can fully applying this change how you respond to people who break the rules?
Close in Prayer