TALK IT OVER 05.24.2020
Recap: This week Pastor Josh launched into 2 Chronicles 7:14 by observing that there are 3 conditions given to us as we invite God to hear us, forgive us, and heal our land. If we want revival in our nation, revival must first begin in us. And it starts with HUMILITY. The question becomes…how can we foster humble hearts? We looked at Exodus 8 where God reminds His people that remaining humble comes from (1) remembering who you rely on, and (2) remembering who is ruling.
Scripture: 2 Chronicles 7:13-14; Proverbs 16:5; Philippians 2:3
Icebreaker: What is your absolute dream job?
- The root of the word “humility” is humus, meaning dirt, soil, grounded, and even “from the earth”. We are to meet God on our knees. Our culture doesn’t typically kneel or bow low when we meet people; in what ways can we kneel before God to humble ourselves?
- Are there other character traits that go together with humility? What might those be?
- Describe what having the same attitude as Jesus looks like?
- Webster’s Dictionary defines humility as “freedom from pride or arrogance.” Read Proverbs 16:5. Why do you think pride is such an offense to the Lord?
- What are the effects that pride has on a person?
- What are some of the ways pride can impact your relationships with others? With God?
- Jesus had the power of God, yet He kneeled to wash His disciples’ feet. What opportunities do we have to demonstrate similar humility?
- Read Philippians 2:3 Is there someone in your life you need to actively consider more important than yourself?
- What in your life is hampering obedience to God in regard to humility? (e.g., judgement, being self-focused, resentment, wanting to be loved by a particular person)
- How can we nurture humility in our lives?