All Rise: January 18 & 19, 2020
A Conversation Guide for Small Groups
ICEBREAKER: Where is the last place you went for the first time?
Watch the Talk It Over video.
SCRIPTURE REFERENCE: Romans 13:7-9; Luke 10:25-37
DISCUSSION STARTER: How do you greet someone you know really well (friends, family)? What about someone you don’t know well or are meeting for the first time? What ways of being greeted make you feel comfortable? Uncomfortable?
- Read Romans 13:7-9. What does honor look like to you? How can you tell when someone does not honor you? How does that make you feel?
- Read Luke 10:25-37. Who are your literal neighbors? Do you know them personally? How do you honor them as physical neighbors?
- How can we foster compassion for those who stand against us? Describe a time when God helped you do this.
- Do you have a natural affection toward difficult people?
- Do you have a natural reaction to avoid difficult people? Describe some ways we practice avoidance.
- How can we practically demonstrate care for someone who is difficult? How can we identify needs they might have in order to serve them?
- Go around the group to help each other devise a strategy to serve the difficult person in your life.
- Read 1 John 4:17-19. How can we change our thinking about people to move from thinking of them as “difficult” to thinking of them as “loved by God”?
Close in Prayer