Heroes: Week 8 – TALK IT OVER with Others
This week’s complete Talk It Over.
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): If you had to teach a class on one thing, what would you teach?
SCRIPTURE: This week’s Talk It Over guide is Judges 11. Please read this together in your Small Group before proceeding.
Watch the Talk It Over video.
DISCUSSION STARTER: The hero of our story, Jephthah, made an unnecessary promise even though God never asked him to. Have you ever found yourself making a ridiculous “deal” with God (that you secretly hoped you wouldn’t have to follow through with)? What are some of the absurd promises you’ve made to try to sway God to your side?
- What parts of your story are messed up but you know you didn’t do anything to deserve them? How is this different than the choices we make that result in a self-made messed-up situation?
- Do you truly believe God wants to give power and purpose to your personal messed-up situation/past? Or do you feel that your situation/past too big, too bad or too tragic for God to use?
- Who have you placed in your community? Where will they lead you?
- What opportunities have passed you by because you didn’t want to say yes to God’s invitation?
- What are some reasons we give to stay where we are rather than taking a step forward and accepting God’s invitation to be used by Him?
- Serving (putting others first) is such a large part of becoming who God wants you to be. How do you serve?
- What gifts or skill sets do you have to serve? What gifts or skill sets do you see in others in your small group?
Close in prayer. Consider praying in smaller groups or pairs.