Say What?: Week 4 | TALK IT OVER with Others
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): Do you save old greeting cards and letters, or throw them all away? Why?
SCRIPTURE: The Talk It Over Video is based on Luke 1, where the birth of John the Baptist and the birth of Jesus are foretold. Before watching the video, be sure to read this chapter as a group.
Watch Pastors Josh and Lisa in this week’s TALK IT OVER Video
DISCUSSION STARTER: After the angel Gabriel explains to the virgin Mary that she will give birth to the Son of God, he says (v. 37), “For no word from God will ever fail.” God will always keep His word. With God, nothing is impossible, no matter how far-fetched it seems. God will absolutely perform what He has said. Why is it so hard for us to believe in the strange, confusing promises God makes?
- Do you believe that God will use you, personally, in a way that leaves a kingdom impact on eternity?
- Are you willing to trade your comfort and the way you currently live to answer God’s call on your life?
- Have there been experiences in your life that you know had God’s favor but didn’t look or feel like a blessing? Were they coupled with hardship or challenges?
- Who or what sits on the throne of your heart? In order to answer this question, what indicators would you pay attention to in your life?
- Was there ever a time you made a decision when you did not consult the Lord because you were serving some other desire or ambition? How did that end up?
- What thing do you know the Lord has placed on your heart but you are procrastinating taking that first step toward obedience? What is the excuse you are using to avoid obedience?
Close in prayer. Consider praying in smaller groups or pairs.