Say What?: Week 3 | TALK IT OVER with Others
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): What is the weirdest food you’ve ever eaten?
SCRIPTURE: The Small Group Conversation Starter is based on Matthew 23, where Jesus warns about the hypocrisy of the Teachers of the Law and the Pharisees. It is suggested that the leader of the Small Group read this chapter ahead of time.
Watch Pastor Josh’s Small Group Conversation Starter
DISCUSSION STARTER: Jesus spoke harshly throughout Matthew 23, yet this was not the language of personal irritation but of divine warning and condemnation. How easy is it for you to hear the warnings or perhaps criticism when someone calls you out on something?
- Share a time when you thought your well-intentioned plans landed you in the wrong place. This could be literal (being completely lost while following a map) or figuratively (a good deed that ended up embarrassing another, or a perfectly planned outing that failed to take into the consideration of others).
- How do we keep from losing our way?
- Jesus provided some examples where the religious leaders and Pharisees were so busy following every rule that they failed to miss the big picture. How would you explain what it means to obey Jesus?
- God is never fooled by what we show on the outside. He sees what we actually are, not how we appear to be to others. Have you ever known someone who works very hard on outward appearances but hasn’t taken the time to get things right in their heart? Is it difficult to spend time with them? Why or why not?
- Proverbs 4:23 instructs “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” What practical tips would you give to someone for them to best guard their heart?
- What do you need to delete in order to guard your heart and get back on the path God wants you on? (“I shouldn’t listen/say/look/go to….” See Proverbs 4:24-26.)
- Pastor Josh encouraged us to be honest and go to the hard places. What are you allowing to form your heart?
Close in prayer. Consider praying in smaller groups or pairs.