“God’s Word in Your Heart, Habits, Home”
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): For New Years, do you “stay up” or “sleep through” the countdown to the new year? Why?
Watch this week’s Small Group Video from Pastor Erik
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- Have you ever read a book (other than the Bible) or watched a movie that changed your perspective on the world? Share this with the group.
- This weekend’s message talked about getting God’s Word into your hearts, homes, and habits. Can someone recap for us what that means? What are different ways that work for you in getting God’s Word in your heart? Your home? Your habits? Have you had any good examples of people who incorporated God’s Word into all areas of their life? Share with the group.
- How would you explain to someone else that the Bible is worth reading? When you spend time in the Bible on your own, what are you hoping to experience or gain?
- (Optional) We are going to watch a video together. As we watch, what stands out to you the most? Is there a statement or an illustration that makes you think differently about the Bible? https://www.desiringgod.org/run
- Turn to Psalm 119. This chapter is broken up into dozens of different sections and each of them have something to tell us about God’s Word. They use many different words to explain the Bible – law, precepts, commands, etc. Choose a section to read and in a few minutes each person is going to teach the group what Psalm 119 says about God’s Word. [Note: This is a great exercise to get a glimpse into the leadership ability of the people in your group. If they can step into this exercise, they might make a great apprentice and future small group leader.]
- Read 2 Timothy 3:15-17. According to these verses, what are additional benefits of reading the Bible? Have you ever experienced this?
- What is your plan for being in God’s Word in 2019?