“Rewriting Christmas: Week 2 – Joy”
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): What is your favorite Christmas treat, snack, or goodie?
Watch this week’s Small Group Video from Pastor Josh
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of joy?
- What about the Christmas season brings you the most joy? Is there anything that consistently brings joy into your life regardless of the season?
- SHEPHERDING: The World Health Organization claims that the United States is the most anxious country on the planet. Why do you think that is? In what ways have you been pulled into anxiety? How does worry and anxiety hinder our faith in Jesus?
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Read Philippians 4:4, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, James 1:2, 1 Peter 1:6-9. Note: To encourage ownership and save time for discussion, ask different people to read. Then ask…
- What are these verses trying to tell us?
- In your opinion, why are trials and joy frequently mentioned together?
- Have you ever experienced joy coming out of a painful experience? Share with the group.
- (Optional) For those of you who were listening to these stories, how did this sharing time encourage you?
- Why is joy a critical characteristic of a disciple of Jesus? When disciples live out joy, what does it communicate about Jesus?