“TABOO: Homosexuality” (Speaker: Christopher Yuan)
Small Groups at Lakeland exists to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): Tell us about your earliest memory of a “best friend”.
[SHEPHERDING] (Due to the unique topic of the weekend, you might take a moment to voice a prayer for your group discussion – submitting to God’s ways and for us to see people as God sees people.)
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- On the first weekend of our TABOO series, Pastor Josh used his hands to describe a Biblical worldview versus our cultural/personal opinions. Would someone remind the group of that illustration? (Leader tip: Multiple people will probably jump in and add to it. That’s good!) How do you see this illustration relating to the topic of homosexuality in today’s world?
- In your opinion, what truths talked about this weekend are most important in understanding a Biblical worldview on the topic of homosexuality?
- Read 1 Peter 1:14-15. What is God calling us away from in these verses? What is God calling us toward? Who is the “standard bearer” for true holiness? Why is this significant for Christ followers in a culture that is increasingly compromising? (Optional further study: 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. A passage with strong words about God’s standards that ends with life transformation when Corinth turned from their sin. Could be used to reinforce the importance of ACCOUNTABILITY.)
- [DEVELOPING OTHERS] What environment (family, work, friendships, school, etc) is most challenging for you to influence others in God’s truth about homosexuality?
- [ON MISSION] Has God put a person in your life that is participating in the sin of homosexuality? How can you serve, encourage, or practically display Christ’s love to them this week?