“Your Own Worst Enemy”
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): What is your favorite thing about fall?
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- This weekend we heard about behavior modification. What is behavior modification? Why are we more prone to slip into behavior modification? Why is behavior modification incomplete?
- SHEPHERDING: Has there been an area of your life where you transitioned from behavior modification to heart modification (following the Spirit and “stepping into the flow” of how God is working)?
- SHEPHERDING: You are wired to win! Do you believe it? Where do you need to hear that most this week or in this season?
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Romans 8:5 says, “Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit.” We are supposed to saturate our minds with the things of God. Let’s look at some verses that talk about this.
- Option 1: More topical overview – Romans 12:2; Philippians 4:8; Colossians 3:2-5. What is the theme of these passages? How do we obey these truths? Look at the list in Philippians 4:8 – what do you think Paul means by true? Pure? Lovely? Etc.
- Option 2: A study of a passage – Ephesians 4:22-32. First let’s read 22-24 – The whole rest of this passage depends on the truths written here. You have been given a “new self” through Christ, what do we mean when we say “old self” and “new self”? Who makes this change possible? (God, not ourselves through behavior modification). Read 25-32 – Look at the whole list of things that Paul lists here. This is the result of a Spirit-led life. Is there anything mentioned here that you are hanging onto “the old self” instead of embracing the Spirit’s work and “the new self”? (Leaders, you might have to go first on this one!)
- DEVELOPING OTHERS: There are many ways for us to saturate our minds with Godly thoughts (music, serving, being with others, the Bible, etc). What ways work best for you? (After the group answers, challenge them with this) So you know what works, are you actually pursuing God in these ways? Pursue Him and follow Him!
Pray for The Calling series that starts next week! Pass around your invite cards to either invite people to your group or the Monday night SuperGroup starting Monday, September 24.