“The Mark of the Nail: Fear”
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): What did you have for breakfast this morning?
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- Let’s talk about our fears. (Two options here – depending on the vulnerability of your group. Either way, share first to set the tone of the answers) Option 1: What is something that you are afraid of? Option 2: What were some of the fears you wrote on your tag this weekend that you feel comfortable sharing with the group?
- DEVELOPING OTHERS: What “best practices” have you learned about surrendering fear to God? (Review the weekend’s teaching but also get into some advice of how to continually surrender fears.)
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Let’s see what the Bible says about this in a passage of Scripture that is well known to followers of Christ but we will try to hear it differently. Let’s read Philippians 4:6-7 together. [Read the passage, you could do this multiple times and ask the questions before the last person reads.] In anxiety and fear, what is required of us (according to this passage)? What does God promise in return (according to this passage)?
- Essentially this passage is saying “lack of prayer in the life of a disciple of Jesus = increased fear/anxiety” and “increased prayer in the life of a disciple of Jesus = lack of fear/anxiety.” Do you agree or disagree? How have you seen this relationship between prayer and fear play out in your own life?
- ON MISSION: Do you know someone who is living in fear? How can you influence this individual this week to be free of fear that binds them?
Christian author/blogger Alison Tiemeyer has a list of ten bold prayers that we can pray in overcoming fear. Consider using this as a closing prayer activity for your group. Each person can read a prayer or you could just pick two or three that you (as SHEPHERD and pastor of that living room) pray over your small group. You can find her blog here – http://alisontiemeyer.com/prayers-for-anxiety/