Mistaken Identity: Week 7
Small Group Conversation Guide
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): If you could relive one year of your life, what year would it be? Why?
Watch Pastor Josh’s Small Group Conversation Starter
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message to share.
- Think about Josh’s questions at the end of the video: Where do you feeling like you are losing? Where do see God winning around you?
- When you think of someone who has been victorious in their life, who do you think of?
- 1 Corinthians 15:57 says, “But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” Jesus is our victory! As disciples of Jesus, why is it so easy to lose sight of this truth?
- In Romans 8, Paul is calling the believers in Rome to live in step with the Holy Spirit and gives them hope in their current circumstances. Let’s listen to how he ends this chapter. Read Romans 8:31-39.
- In our battles, God is our gracious Commander. According to verses 31-34, what has He done for us? What is He doing for us? (Bonus question: How does Christ interceding for us change our “battle plan”?)
- Reread verse 35. In this verse, Paul makes a list of difficulties that we could face in life – trouble, hardship, persecution, nakedness, danger, and sword. How many of those situations have you faced? Share more. Note: Permission granted to throw something at anyone who makes a nakedness joke! Lakeland is not responsible for injury 🙂
- How many of these situations did Paul face? What scenes in Paul’s life did he experience these things?
- Paul goes above and beyond in verse 37 to instill this powerful picture of a disciple of Jesus: “in ALL things…we are MORE THAN conquerors” in Christ. How does this challenge how we view ourselves and our identity? How does this challenge our view of what Jesus can accomplish in our lives?
- In your life, what situation do you need to start believing that you are a victor, overcomer, and conqueror? How can our small group help you to live in this new identity?
- End with this: Jesus is victorious! As His follower, you are called to also walk in victory. Don’t settle for a victim mentality – you were made for so much more!
Close in prayer. Consider doing a prayer huddle around those who are needing to walk in their victor identity more. You can also pray Romans 8:38-39 over your group.