Mistaken Identity: Week 3
Small Group Conversation Guide
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): What was something that you were really afraid of as a child? What helped you not be afraid?
Watch Pastor Josh’s Small Group Conversation Starter
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message to share.
- Pastor Josh finished the video by asking: Do you feel like your identity is lived from a place of great faith or great fear? Or mild faith or mild fear?
- Many things that fuel faith were mention in this week’s video – meditating on God’s provision, conviction, honoring God, etc. What fuels your faith? What gets you excited about God, encourages you in your faith, or connects you to Jesus?
- Whenever faith is present, our enemy wants to steal it by instilling fear in us. Share about a time when faith overcame fear in your life.
- When you think about people in the Bible overcoming fear with faith, who comes to mind? What other passages, events, or scenes in the Bible do you think of?
- What do we learn about God in all of these stories?
- Read Isaiah 41:8-13…Let’s start by looking at verse 8-9, how does God describe the relationship He has with Israel? Is it easy or difficult for you to view your relationship with Jesus in the same way? Explain your answer.
- Reread verse 10. How is this verse both a command and a promise? Which is the hardest for you to remember in fearful moments?
- Verse 10 is packed with truth! What fear-filled lies are dismantled because of the truth in this verse?
- According to verse 11-12, what hope is given in the fearful circumstances that you are facing today? What is God’s part in this? What is our part?
- Knowing God, His Word, the power of prayer, and being a part of a community of disciples – we are set up to face our fears with courageous faith. What practical steps can you take this week to walk in faith and not in fear? How can our small group help you in this journey?
- End with this statement: Imagine your life without fear. This is what Jesus invites us into – an identity fueled by faith and without fear! We can be disciples of powerful faith!
Close in prayer. Consider praying in smaller groups or pairs.