“Mistaken Identity: Week 1”
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): Imagine waking up tomorrow and you are back in high school again. Would you rather be the smartest student or the most popular student?
Watch this week’s Small Group Conversation Starter from Pastor Josh
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- Of all the axioms that were talked about in this week’s video, which did you need to hear the most today? Share more about that.
- Has anyone had their identity stolen? What was that experience like? How does that relate to our identity in Christ?
- Honestly, which would bother you more – having your earthly identity stolen from you or your spiritually identity stolen from you? Explain your answer.
- Our identity was determined at the beginning of time. Genesis 2:7 says, “Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.” During the days of creation, God uniquely created mankind by breathing the breath of life into us. What does this mean to you? What was God communicating to us about our worth by breathing into us?
- Psalm 119:13 adds to this by saying that God created you in the deepest parts of who you are and carefully “knit” you together with purpose and worth. God has the final say over everything including who you are and how much you matter! You are who He says you are! In this series, we are going to uncover this more in the weeks to come but at the start of this series, do you feel you have ever realized who you are in Christ? Share more.
- How has your past and present interrupted the reality of living in this identity?
- God has always been in the business of redefining identities. Read Genesis 17:1-8 as a group.
- How did God super-size Abraham’s view of himself? What promises did God speak over Abraham’s life? How do you imagine Abraham processed all this?
- If you were Abraham, how would you respond after hearing all of this? Excitement? Fear? Share this with others? Keep it to yourself? Call the doctor?
- As the father of many nations, Abraham is a special person in God’s unfolding story in the Old Testament. Today, you are also a person with an unfolding story of God in front of you. Has anyone ever heard or felt God speak an identity-changing truth into your life? For those that haven’t experienced that, how can you position your life to hear His voice?
Close in prayer as a group. Pray specifically for Jesus to transform our identities (in your group and at Lakeland). Consider praying in smaller groups or in pairs.