Heroes:Week 4 – TALK IT OVER with Others
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): What was your favorite vacation or outing you experienced as a child?
SCRIPTURE: This week’s Talk It Over guide is based 1 Samuel 17. Please read this together in your Small Group before discussing.
Watch Jeff and Kate in this week’s Talk It Over video
DISCUSSION STARTER: Think of a teacher, family member or community member from your childhood that you were completely intimidated by. What made you feel like they were larger than life? Do you still feel that way now?
- What are some common situations people face that paralyze them the way this situation paralyzed God’s people?
- What might it look like to rethink situations and view it the way David viewed his situation?
- Have you ever tried to face a giant and found yourself on the receiving end of criticism? Why do you think that happens?
- God uses smaller experiences from our past to prepare us for large giants in our future. What is something that happened in your past that you can see today was God’s preparation for you?
- Explain what the statement “a giant is something that stands in our way of us becoming more” means to you. What stops you from wanting to become more?
- Can you recognize and name your personal giant? Would God call it the same thing? Or are you attempting to soften the size of your giant?
- What ‘slingshot’ are you deciding today to pick up in order to take your giant out?
Close in prayer. Consider praying in smaller groups or pairs.