“Rewriting Christmas: Week 4 – Peace”
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): Decorating, Eating, Gifting, Family – what is your favorite part about Christmas?
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- Is peace hard to come by in the Christmas season? Why/why not?
- Do you find yourself placing a high value on peace? How does this value of peace (or lack of it) show up in your life?
- Read Colossians 3:15. This verse connects peace and God’s people. What is the connection? How can we bring each other peace? Has there been a time recently when you were encouraged by another Christian?
- Read Mark 4:35-41. Then ask…
- How did the disciples react to this storm? What did many of them do for a living?
- Are you ever annoyed when it looks like God is sleeping or ignoring the situation that has “swamped” you and threatens to drown you?
- Why do you think the disciples wake Jesus up? To take cover, to calm the storm, or something else?
- Why are the disciples still “terrified” even after Jesus calms the storm?
- The story shows us lack of faith in the disciples. How would they have responded if they had faith? What does this mean for you and me in the current storm of our lives?
- Reread verse 41. Tell us of a time when God displayed His power during a difficult time.
- Thinking back to this weekend’s message – How will you grab hold of peace this week? It is yours in Jesus Christ!