“Week 1: A Christmas Carol”
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): What are three apps on your phone that you cannot live without?
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- Do you happen to know the meaning of your name? Was this meaning spoken over you as a child or did you find it out on your own? (Optional: You could have group members google the meaning of their names and share what they find.)
- As you look through the “window of your life”, what ways have you lived up to that meaning? What ways haven’t you been able to live up to that meaning?
- There are multiple occasions in the Bible where God changes someone’s name. This was not only to establish a new identity but to begin unfolding the divine plan that will be fulfilled in their life. Turn in your Bibles to Genesis 17:1-8. What has happened in Abram’s life so far? How did Abram choose to do things his way? How many “I will” statements does God make in the passage we read?
- It is clear that God’s plans for Abraham’s life would prevail. However, few people realize that it has taken 25 years (since Abraham left his father’s home) for Abraham to discover God’s purpose for his life. Have you ever found yourself impatient with God’s purpose for your life or frustrated with His timing? (This question can bring about great SHEPHERDING moments as you listen to your group respond and as the group responds to one another.)
- Personally, how have you been able to tell the difference between your purpose for your life and God’s purposes for your life? (DEVELOP OTHERS in knowing the difference!)
- At the end of this weekend’s message, we were given an opportunity to listen to God for a name that He might give us. Would a few of you be willing to share about what God revealed to you? (Small group leader, you might have to lead out on this one!)
Consider closing your small group in praying specifically for the names that God revealed to certain individuals in your group.