“Rewriting Christmas: Week 1 – Hope”
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): Share about your most memorable Christmas.
Watch this week’s Small Group Video from Pastor Josh
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- SHEPHERDING: With Christmas fast approaching, do you find yourself losing hope or filled with hope? Is Christmas a difficult time for you or a joyful time? [Note: This is a deep question to start with but a good question to foster authenticity in your small group. You might have to answer first!]
- Josh’s question in the small group video: How has God provided hope for you dark days in your life?
- In Psalm 52, the writer says to God, “I will hope in Your name, for Your Name is good.” What does it mean for a disciple of Jesus to hope in God’s name?
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Read 2 Kings 6:8-17. Then ask…
- What stands out most to you in this story?
- Different individuals have different reactions to hopeless situations. What different reactions do we see in this story? Which person do you relate with most?
- An overwhelming army was coming against God’s people. What “armies” come against you in your walk with Jesus? Family situations, work, money, your past, doubts about the future, a sin habit that you can’t get out of, etc? Have you ever felt overwhelmed like the servant by what you were facing?
- In verses 16-17, Elisha not only states the truth but then prays for the servant to see it. Why are both important in the midst of hopelessness? How did Elisha’s prayer change the situation?
- Are there situations where God might chose not to fight for us? Explain your answer. Instead of fighting for you, what else would he want to communicate or show you?
- ON MISSION: What situation in your life do you need the reminder that God is fighting for you? Who in your life needs to hear this truth as well?