Small Groups at Lakeland exists to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): What was your first vehicle? Tell us about it.
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- After hearing this weekend’s message, how would you define “addiction”? (Leaders tip: Allow multiple people to add and share)
- When discussing addictions and codependency, a Godly view of the concept of control is required. How should a Christ follower understand control (of our lives, behaviors, habits, etc)?
- [DEVELOPING OTHERS/SHEPHERDING] Giving God complete control of our hurts, habits, and hang-ups – Is this even realistic in this world? How have you learned to walk this out in your faith?
- Turn in your Bibles to Exodus 20:1-6. This is a significant passage in the Bible as God begins to call Israel to complete obedience through giving the Ten Commandments. Tonight, let’s read the first few verses of this chapter with addictions in mind. [Read the passage] How does this relate to our topic? What warnings are mentioned? What hope is given?
- [ON MISSION] What have you found to be some of the best ways to positively influence those facing addictions? What are boundaries that you have found to be important?
This is another message that reinforces the importance of ACCOUNTABILITY in a disciple’s life. Feel free to end your discussion to remind your group of this and how you/the group can help.