“Times They Are A Changin’: Week 1”
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): Have you ever been told that you look like someone famous? Who was it?
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- Early in the message this weekend, we were shown a graph on how people respond to change –innovators, early adopters, late adopters, and laggers. Where would you place yourself on that graph? Share more about your answer.
- SHEPHERDING: Can you think of a moment in your life when difficult change brought about good things in your life – maybe immediately or over time?
- DEVELOPING OTHERS: Lakeland’s mission statement says that we are leading people to follow Jesus, being changed by Jesus and commit to the mission of Jesus because lives are at stake! So being changed by Jesus…would you say that you respond to being changed by Jesus the same way as you respond to other change in your life? Explain your answer.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Let’s read a couple verses together – Malachi 3:6; Hebrews 13:8; Isaiah 43:19; 2 Corinthians 5:17. [Read verses, then say…] In the Old and the New Testament, we are reminded of two truths – God never changes and He is determined to change us. How do you make sense of this? How would you explain this to someone else? [What does it tell us about God? What does it say about us?]
- SHEPHERDING: As disciples of Jesus, we are all on a path of being changed by Him. How is He changing you? [Leader’s Tip: This question prompts a plunge into authenticity and vulnerability. Be patient with silence and squirming. Restate the question if needed. If you receive a lot of “surface answers”, feel free to invite your group to go deeper together – How is Jesus changing you in the deepest part of who you are?]
Consider closing your time in praying for change for one another. You might even consider breaking up in same gender groups of 2s and 3s to do this. Heads up: One of the weekly discussion options in our upcoming series The Calling will be to do some discussion and/or prayer in pairs or smaller groups. If you are interested in doing more of this in your group, you can start now!