Mistaken Identity: Week 6
Small Group Conversation Guide
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): Imagine it is your turn to sing karaoke! What song would you pick?
Watch Pastor Josh’s Small Group Conversation Starter
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message to share.
- Think about Josh’s questions at the end of the video: What is the type of leadership that has been modeled to you in your story? How have you been taught to influence others – in a lording way or a servant way?
- Ultimately, Jesus is our best example of what it means to be a servant leader. As you think about Jesus, what scene in His life or character trait best exemplifies His servant-mindset? Why does this stand out for you?
- Read 1 Peter 5:1-5. The very first challenge that Peter gives leaders is to shepherd their people. We often think of shepherding as lowly, soft, and passive. How does the portrait of a shepherd make a powerful leadership example? In your opinion, what is the most important job of a shepherd?
- According to this passage, whose “flock” is it? Why is this important? How does a leader lead differently with this in mind?
- Peter calls leaders to be “willing”, “eager to serve”, and “examples to the flock.” As you think through your own story, who has been a great shepherd to you?
- Reread verse 4. Knowing that the Chief Shepherd (Jesus Christ) will appear, how does this help a leader in their role?
- Depending on the leader, how is verse 4 both an encouragement and a warning?
- Peter closes this short passage with this statement: “Clothe yourself with humility.” As a disciples of Jesus, how do we do that? Why does God give grace to the humble?
- This weekend’s message was a bold call to influence in a counter-cultural way! The people you influence are greatly impacted by your mindset around your identity – a lording leader or a servant leader. What is your next step this week to lead as servant leader?
Close in prayer. Consider praying in smaller groups or pairs.