“Life Hacks: Spiritual Growth”
Small Groups at Lakeland exist to make disciples who make disciples in relational environments as we live out the four habits – accountability, shepherding, developing others, and on mission.
ICEBREAKER (optional): What is your favorite road trip snack?
DISCUSSION STARTER (optional): Let’s start by asking if anyone has a specific takeaway from this weekend’s message that they’d like to share.
- As we start the Life Hacks series, what do you consider the best advice or life hack that you have learned from someone?
- SHEPHERDING: This weekend we talked about connecting with God through reading the Bible and in prayer. How would you describe your times with God? What have you found that works well for you? (Small Group Leader, be sure to share your own “hack”/advice!)
- The disciple of Jesus who was vital to building the New Testament Church was also passionate about spiritual growth. We are going to read a passage from a much older Peter but earlier in his life he had to spiritually grow to be who God called him to be. Can you think of a scene in the life of Peter where he was forced to spiritually grow? (After each example ask: How did God want Peter to grow in that situation?)
- Turn to 2 Peter 1:3-11. Peter knew about spiritual growth because he had experienced it. (Read the passage and then ask: In verse 8, Peter writes the words “ineffective and unproductive.” Have you ever felt that way in your relationship with Christ? What lead to you feeling that way?)
- DEVELOPING OTHERS: Starting in verse 5, Peter describes different “layers” of spiritual growth – starting with faith (salvation in Christ) and then moving on to other areas of growth. (Reread v. 5-7) Which word/qualities is God currently teaching you? (Optional: Have you learned the qualities listed before the word you chose? Do you have faith to believe that God is going to grow the qualities listed after the word you chose?)
- ACCOUNTABILITY: After all that we have talked about with spiritual growth, what is one thing you will do differently this week to pursue God? (Think about taking notes and checking back in next week as a group)